The more time I spend in the video industry, the more I realize video is becoming just a sub specialty of IT!
Case in point: Over the last few days we have been upgrading one of our in house RAIDs from 5 terabytes to 16 terabytes. We built this server from scratch in a SuperMicro case with an Areca 1220 RAID controller running Openfiler in a RAID 5 configuration.
To pull off the upgrade, we pulled one drive from the RAID at a time and let the array heal itself each time. Pretty cool to see the RAID working like it is supposed to (Note: Many purists will argue this is a bad idea, as you lose your redundancy during the rebuild, etc. This very well may be true, but it worked for us, and we got anything critical off the array before we started).
Only took 4.5 hours for each drive. After all 8 were done, we were ready to crank things up to 16 terabytes, but our controller card said not so fast.
We tried to expand the volume to no avail. Controller card insisted no additional available space, and we were stuck with only 5 terabytes available, 11 terabytes lost in RAID never never land.
Enter Google to save the day!
Thanks to an Areca tech support post that found its way on to a forum we discovered the following magic way to get the controller card to let us expand the volume:
please follow the procedure below :
1. login the browser management console
Raidset Functions > Rescue RaidSet
2. enter the keyword “RESETCAPACITY Raid Set # 000″, confirm and submit.
after that, controller will reconfigure the raidset capacity.
You may need to tweak the Raid Set number for your setup, but if you get it right it does work!
If you are looking for this info, enjoy! If you’re super grateful, link to us.
Thanks to Allynm over at [H]ard Forum for tipping us off to this.
P.S. When you are ready for the Openfiler volumer expansion, here’s what you need to do:
This may help
The sequence of steps to get this done is:
1. stop all services
2. umount -a (unmount all partitions)
3. vgchange -an (disable all volume groups)
4. partprobe (reread partition tables on all disks)
5. parted /dev/ resize
(resize the partition)
6. partprobe (reread partition tables on all disks)
7. pvresize /dev/ (resize the physical volume
8. vgchange -ay (enable all volume groups)
9. mount -a (remount all disk partitions)
10. start all previously running services
Caveat emptor, it is assumed that:
1. Openfiler partitioning scheme has been followed (http://www.openfiler.com/docs/install/g … stall.html)
2. OS and data partitions are not on the same disk
Or my changed version for XFS filesystem:
http://www.openfiler.com/community/foru … hp?id=1615
The sequence of steps to get your array grown and usable is done by:
1. parted /dev/
1a. mklabel gpt
1b. rm 1
1d. mkpart primary 0.017 333789 (fill in your start number and end number as 1c. print, states)
2. stop all services
3. umount -a (unmount all partitions)
4. vgchange -an (disable all volume groups)
5. partprobe (reread partition tables on all disks)
6. pvresize /dev/ (resize the physical volume
7. vgchange -ay (enable all volume groups)
8. mount -a (remount all disk partitions)
9. start all previously running services
10. xfs_growfs /mnt/
11. Go to volumes in the web administrator and edit properties of the volume
Last edited by necrosis (2008-01-10 21:55:45)
Original posting of the above available here.